Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sarah Jane is a Better Teacher Than Mom

November 10


OK, so I was REALLY hoping to catch the blog up for October before going into November but it isn't looking good. So, I decided to try not to let it drive me crazy and just do a little at a time and go on. Luckily I make little notes on all of my photos so i know what I am thinking about that day.


Anyway, I learned a new teaching technique tonight...sibling learning!!! Due to the fact that I am an only child, I have not thought of this school of thought much. But tonight I saw just how powerful that "monkey see - monkey do" thing can be for little ones. I have been trying to get Palmer to use a sippy cup since he was 8 months old...he refuses to even let it sit on his highchair or the table. Sonia and I have tried EVERY trick in the book and every sippy cup known to Mom. Today it was suggested to me by his OT to skip the sippy cup stage at this point just start him on a regular cup. YEA RIGHT...Is she forgetting who she is dealing with? Palmer likes to try/do new things about as much as his Daddy does! Anyway, I was thinking all during lunch and dinner how I was going to pull this new cup things off. Well, tonight in the bathtub I found my solution...Sarah Jane the teacher!!!




 Every night in the bathtub Sarah Jane plays with her teapot and teacups. She fills the teapot up with water from the faucet and pours it into her cup and slowly drinks a few gallons of tap water!:) Tonight, as though he had heard and understood my conversation with his OT, Palmer picked up the other teacup and put it up to his lips. I was stepping out of the tub drying off and watched him take the first sip...he made a face like it was poison. of course he was drinking bath water so maybe it did taste bad. Before anyone calls child services on me...I do not condone my children drinking dirty bath water! However, in this case I HAD to watch to see what happened...I can teach him about clean vs dirty water later when he can drink out of a cup!! After the face he made in the beginning I did not think he would try again, but he did. He kept watching Sarah Jane and he continued to fill his little cup, bring it to his lips and try to drink it. I couldn't get dried off fast enough to run go get my camera off of the counter (it is never far from my grasp!)! What a GREAT idea...why didn't I think of this sooner. She wants to do anything & everything he does and he wants to do anything & everything she does. Most of the time this means conflict or danger, but in this case it will be very positive!!! Sarah Jane IS a genius...and my big guy LOVES his Sissy!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment